Wanna black out your Tesla emblems but don’t want to ruin them? Or maybe you just don’t want to take them off? Here’s how.
What You Need
Time – minimum 3 hours
Plasti dip x1 can
Paper – regular copy paper, newspaper, any paper
Alcohol – 1 part 70% iso alcohol & 4 parts water
What is Plasti Dip
It is a water-based rubber coating that lasts about 3 years if cared for properly. Some benefits are that it protects your coated items from moisture, acid, wear and corrosion. Just like vinyl, you can peel it off if you don't like it after a while. So, it's not permanent and it won't damage the chrome. An important tip is not to spray the pressure washer by washing the car or directly on it
How to install
- It is best to install in the garage, avoiding direct sunlight, humidity and wind. Clean the badge thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. You can use a cotton swab or a squeegee wrapped in microfiber to get in the edges. It won't stick if dirt or water is left on it.
- Wrap tape around the badge - about an inch or two away.
- Starting with the first strip of tape you just put down, apply tape paper (copier paper, newspaper) around the sign. This will need to stick out at least 2 feet to eliminate overspray. Newspapers are good because you can get more coverage by unfolding them.
- Shake the can for 1 minute and remember to shake between sprays. Before each application of the sign, it is best to do a test spray on scrap paper to ensure an even application.
- Hold the applicator about 6 inches from the sign, moving side to side, slightly overlapping the stroke. Let it even out. Wait 10-30 minutes. The time will vary depending on the thickness of the coat. Temperature and humidity also delay it.
- Spray from the top corner and wait at least 10 minutes.
- Bottom corner, wait at least 10 minutes.
- On one side, wait at least 10 minutes.
- On the other side, wait at least 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the head one last time in case you need it. Wait about 30 minutes after this last coat. should feel dry.
- Peel off the tape and try to get a head start when tearing off the excess.
- Peel off the badge and it should automatically cut at the bottom of it.
- If the gap is not clean, use a toothpick or plastic tool.
- Wait about 4 hours before driving or washing your car.